First Nations and Inuit Summer Work Experience Program
What should I know about this program?
The First Nations and Inuit Summer Work Experience Program provides funding to eligible First Nations and Inuit communities, governments and organizations, as well as not-for-profit associations, schools and employers who then provide activities for First Nations and Inuit youth. The program helps First Nations and Inuit youth acquire skills, prepare for full-time employment and earn income to support post-secondary education.
By participating in the Summer Work Experience Program you can expect to:
- Enhance your employability
- Gain valuable skills
- Earn an income
- Have an increased awareness of the benefits of education"
Work placements will take place between May 1, 2022 and February 28, 2023. Each placement is required to be a minimum of 80 hours.
COVID-19: Extended support for student work terms
*Due to COVID-19, there may continue to be disruptions to student's employment for the 2022 to 2023 program year. The First Nations and Inuit Youth Employment Strategy will continue to support extended Work Experience Program opportunities for First Nations and Inuit youth students until February 28, 2023.
Am I eligible to apply?
You're eligible to apply if you...
- Are a First Nations or Inuit secondary or postsecondary student age 15 to 30
- Are ordinarily resident* on reserve or in recognized communities or on community lands
- Are legally entitled to work in Canada
- Are registered as full-time student during the preceding academic year and who intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year.
(*) Ordinarily resident on reserve means that eligible youth:
- live on reserve
- do not maintain a primary residence off reserve
- may be temporarily off reserve for the primary purpose of seeking education
We're working on connecting you with opportunities - stay tuned
Here's what previous participants did!
- Administrative Assistant
- Junior Policy Analyst
- Elementary School Receptionist
- Camp Leader
- Cook's Helper
- Band Housing Assistant