freight train conductor
Source: Job Bank
- Work Term: Permanent
- Work Language: English
- Hours: 40 to 60 hours per week
- Education: Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
- Experience: Will train
- or equivalent experience
Work site environment
- Willing to relocate
- Relocation costs covered by employer
- Check train systems and equipment prior to train run
- Receive train orders and explain orders to brakemen/women, locomotive engineer and other crew members
- Communicate with train crew members to aid in the movement and operation of train
- Receive orders from traffic controllers, observe signals and track conditions and open and close track switches
- Communicate with train crew members to give and receive train operation information
- Prepare train run reports
- Set and release hand brakes and connect air brake hoses to couple and switch passenger or freight cars, making minor repairs to couplings, air hoses and wheel-bearing boxes as required
Security and safety
- Criminal record check
- Willing to travel
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Work under pressure
- Attention to detail
- Ability to distinguish between colours
- Sound discrimination
- Combination of sitting, standing, walking
- Standing for extended periods
- Steel-toed safety boots
- Excellent oral communication
- Are you available for shift or on-call work?
- Are you currently a student?
- Are you currently legally able to work in Canada?
- Are you willing to relocate for this position?
- Do you currently reside in proximity to the advertised location?
- Do you have previous experience in this field of employment?
- What is the highest level of study you have completed?
- Dental plan
- Health care plan
- Vision care benefits
- As per collective agreement
Long term benefits
- Group insurance benefits
- Life insurance
- Pension plan
- Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP)
- Learning/training paid by employer
- Wellness program